A geosynthetic clay liner (GCL) is a woven fabric-like material, primarily used for the lining of landfills. It is a kind of geomembrane and geosynthetic, which incorporates a bentonite or other clay, which has a very low hydraulic conductivity. The resulting lower permeability slows the rate of seepage out of the landfill. Due to environmental laws, any seepage from landfills must be collected and properly disposed of, otherwise contamination of the surrounding ground water could cause major environmental and/or ecological problems. The lower the hydraulic conductivity the more effective the GCL will be at retaining seepage inside of the landfill. Bentonite composed predominantly (>70%) of montmorillonite or other expansive clays, are preferred and most commonly used in GCLs. A general GCL construction would consist of two layers of geosynthetics stitched together enclosing a layer of processed sodium bentonite. Typically, woven and/or non-woven textile geosynthetics are used, however polyethylene or geomembrane layers or geogrid geotextiles materials have also been incorporated into the design or in place of a textile layer to increase strength. GCLs are produced by several large companies in North America, Europe, and Asia.
Synthetic Clay Liner are comprise of a layer of low water permeability, high swelling sodium bentonite sandwiched between two layers of geotextiles. They are like carpets and are very effective barrier systems for waste and liquid containment. The use of GCLs are mandatory in western countries where environmental regulations are high.
- Waste containment – In industrial, hazardous and municipal landfill liners and landfill caps. GCLs effectively prevent leachates thus protecting soil and ground water. GCLs have substituted traditional clay liners because of their high durability and cost effectiveness.
- Liquid containment – Minimizes leakages in above ground storage tanks, civil engineering projects – canals, waterways, dams, roadways, etc. Also for decorative ponds, lagoons and wetlands.
- Fast and easy installation. Available in rolls of size required, no cut and paste or seaming required.
- One truckload of the GCL equals almost 100 truckloads of clay for the same application.
- Self repair of any holes and rips due to swelling properties of bentonite.
- High strength chemically resistant geotextiles plus the needle punched reinforcement results in high durability and cost effectiveness.
Available Packages :
50kg and Jumbo Packing.